Tournament Rules and Practices
Upon confirmation of your team’s registration in a Jr. RoughRider tournament and again upon team check-in, the CRHA will provide documentation of rules and scoring which will apply to the specific event. Below find a basic list of rules and practices which generally apply to most Jr. RoughRider games. Official rules for 2016-17 squirt, pee wee, and bantam tournaments should be referenced for actual home tournament events.
- Mite Jamboree will be 4×4 cross-ice style using goalies, with three simultaneously played games 20 minutes in length
- Bantam games will be three 15-minute stop-time periods. Pee Wee and Squirt games are three 12-minute stop-time periods. Running clock begins when a 6 goal differential has been reached.
- Games may begin as many as 30 minutes before scheduled if a situation arises. Teams are encouraged to have their players at the rink a minimum of one hour before scheduled game time.
- 3 Minute pre-game warmup. 1-minute between periods.
- Minor penalties assessed at Bantam games will be 2:00 in length. At Pee Wee and Squirt games, minor penalties will be 1:30 in length.
- The CRHA enforces a “Zero Tolerance” policy for player and audience conduct as described by USA Hockey.
- Games will be officiated by USAH-registered officials.
- All applicable USAH rules will be recognized.
- Ice resurfaced before every game.
- Trophies are generally awarded to teams ranked 1st through 3rd place.
- No gate or admission fees are charged to attendees.
- Minimum 4 game guarantee.
- The CRHA, its Board members, nor association members, are liable for any lost or stolen items. The ice arena is a city-owned facility managed by VenueWorks.
- Win = 2 points, Tie = 1 point, Loss = 0 points earned. An additional point will be awarded for a shutout game.
- In a game ending 0-0, one point will be awarded to both teams.
- In the event teams have accumulated an equal number of points at end of pool play, the tiebreak factors to determine seeding are: 1) head to head; 2) least number of goals against; 3) most goals scored; 4) overall number of periods won; 5) least penalty minutes; 6) fastest goal scored in all games played; 7) coin flip.
- Overtime for seed round: 1) one 5-minute, sudden death period; 2) 5-player shootout; 3) sudden death victory shootout. A player ending the overtime period in the penalty box cannot participate in the shootout.
General Tournament Information
- The Cedar Rapids Ice Arena features two sheets of ice, one Olympic-sized and one NHL-sized and operates two Zambonis.
- The ice arena offers skate sharpening, however the booth is not manned at all hours of operation. It’s best to allow plenty of time if a player needs skates sharpened before a game. Skate laces and mouth guards are generally not stocked.
- Parking will be extremely limited on nights when the USHL RoughRiders play at home.
- Refer to the ice arena page for information about restaurants and lodging near the rink.